Preparing for College
It’s never too early to start thinking about what’s next after high school. Use this checklist of helpful steps as you begin to consider your college options.
- Use online college search tools to build a list of colleges based on the criteria that are important to you. Explore college options based upon your search results.
- Attend college fairs and career information events.
- Get to know the admission criteria and minimum course requirements for the schools you are interested in. Make sure you are on track for meeting the requirements and completing the necessary courses. Find ECU’s requirements here.
- Explore career options and possible majors. Use Degree Explorer to search for majors based on areas of interest, coursework and career opportunities.
- Stay or become involved in extracurricular activities. Try to take on leadership roles if possible.
- Take the SAT and/or ACT as early as possible so that you will have time to improve your score if needed.
- Research funding for college and use a free scholarship search to find scholarships for which you might want to apply. Visit scholarships.ecu.edu for more tips.
- Keep a running list of awards, achievements and recognitions to use on college and scholarship applications.
- Attend tours at the schools that interest you.
Why East Carolina University?
At ECU, you can choose from more than 85 diverse and distinctive undergraduate degree programs in health care, business, education, engineering and much more. In fact, ECU offers more academic programs than any four-year institution in North Carolina.
At ECU, you can earn a marketable degree at an affordable price thanks to scholarships, financial aid and special programs.
At ECU, you can have an enriching college experience on a beautiful, friendly campus that is home to 375+ student organizations, 25+ club sports, 19 living-learning communities, college athletics and more.
At ECU, you can enjoy learning and living in Greenville, NC, a true college town and vibrant city recognized as the educational, cultural, economic and medical hub in the eastern part of the state.
At ECU, you can benefit from a support network that welcomes first-year students with a variety of programs and events specially designed to help you in your transition from high school to college.
Get on Board
The best way to see all the ECU has to offer is to visit our campus in person. Campus tours are offered Monday through Friday at 10:00 a.m. We also have options for virtual info sessions, a self-guided tour, and a virtual tour.
Fill out our inquiry form to connect with ECU Admissions and stay up to date on the latest info, events, deadlines, and more.