Military Undergraduate Admissions
East Carolina University is a proud supporter of its military community and welcomes student veterans and service members to apply for admission. United States military affiliated students apply through the same process as our other undergraduate applicants; however, student types may differ.
Any military (active duty or veterans) who have served less than 3 years and do not have any post-high school coursework will apply using the freshmen application.
Freshmen may apply for admission in one of the following ways:
|Semester||Freshmen Application Deadline|
|Spring 2024||December 1, 2023|
|Fall 2024||April 1, 2024|
Any military (active duty or veterans) who have served at least 3 years prior to enrollment will apply using the transfer application.
Transfers apply for admission using the ECU Application.
|Spring 2024||December 4, 2023|
|Summer 2024||April 29, 2024|
|Fall 2024||July 5, 2024|
Any military student (active duty or veterans) who previously enrolled at ECU as a degree-seeking student and discontinued their enrollment for any reason and any length of time must apply for readmission.
Readmit students apply for admission using the ECU Application.
|Semester||Complete Application By:|
|Fall 2023||August 10, 2023|
|Spring 2024||December 18, 2023|
|Summer 2024||May 3, 2024|
|Fall 2024||August 9, 2024|
Readmit After Withdrawal Due to Military Service
Students who must withdraw from the university due to military service or active-duty requirements will be readmitted upon notification of their intent to return to school.
Students must notify the school of their military service and intention to return to school as follows:
- Notification of Military Service: Students (or an appropriate officer of the armed forces or official of the Department of Defense) must give oral or written notice of such service to the Office of the Registrar as far in advance as is reasonable under the circumstances if a withdrawal from courses is necessary.
- Notification of Intent to Return to School: Students must also give oral or written notice of their intent to return to the Office of the Registrar within three years after the completion of the period of service. Students who are hospitalized or convalescing due to an illness or injury incurred or aggravated during the performance of service must notify the school within two years after the end of the period needed for recovery from the illness or injury. Students who fail to apply for readmission within these periods do not automatically forfeit eligibility for readmission but are subject to the school’s established leave of absence policy and general practices.
- Student Application: Students must complete a new undergraduate admissions application to be readmitted into the university.
- Readmission: Students will be readmitted as follows:
- into the same program to which they were last admitted or, if that exact program is no longer offered, the program that is most similar to that program, unless students choose another program
- at the same enrollment status, unless students want to be enrolled at a different enrollment status
- with the same number of credit hours or clock hours previously completed, unless students are readmitted to a different program to which the completed credit hours or clock hours are not transferable
- with the same academic standing (e.g., with the same satisfactory academic progress status) they previously had.
- The cumulative length of the absence and of all previous absences from the school for military service may not exceed five years. Only the time the student spends performing service is counted.
- Freshmen applicants: Official high school transcripts and military transcripts
- Transfer applicants: Official high school transcripts, college transcripts (if applicable) and appropriate military transcripts (Joint Services Transcript or Air University Transcript).
- Readmit applicants: If any college coursework was attempted since last being enrolled at ECU, official transcripts from each individual college/university attended must be submitted.
- Admission Criteria
- Submission of Documents:
- Final high school transcripts, all official transcripts from each regionally accredited college or university attended, and official military transcripts can be submitted via postal mail or electronically.
- Visit the ECU Registrar’s page for links to request an official JST or CCAF transcript.
Note: Official electronic transcripts from most transcript services are accepted. Otherwise, please have all official documents sent in a sealed/signed envelope.
Official documents should be emailed to email@example.com or mailed to:
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
- Transfer of Credit
- To verify transfer of military credit, visit the Course Equivalency page and select “Military” in the “Type” dropdown menu.
- Military Resources:
- Transfer Resources